Age & Brown Spot Removal
Age spots and brown spots are dots of hyperpigmented skin that are often found on areas that get the most sun, such as the face, neck, hands, and chest. These skin blemishes are a display of uneven pigmentation brought about by melanin response to excessive sun exposure. At Newman Plastic Surgery & Laser Center, we offer a number of options for age and brown spot removal for Westchester, Long Island, and NYC women and men.
As pigmentation occurs at the base of the uppermost layer of the skin, age spots and brown spots are treatable by simply removing this top layer. The new skin that surfaces will be healthier. A range of treatments exists for removing dead or damaged surface skin including:
- Photofacials or IPL: This is a light-based skin treatment that targets excess pigment in the skin. It uses specific light wavelengths to transfer energy into skin cells, reducing the level of brown and red pigmentation.
- Laser peels: This technique targets dead and damaged skin cells using CO2 and erbium lasers. The surface layer of skin peels off as a result, revealing new and healthy skin that has fewer imperfections.
- Chemical peels: This treatment involves applying a chemical solution to the skin that makes it peel off. The fresh skin that appears looks and feels younger and has more even coloring.
- Freezing (cryotherapy): Using a cotton swab, a freezing agent such as liquid nitrogen is applied to the blemish to destroy excess pigmentation.
- Dermabrasion: Dermabrasion is the process of sanding down the top layer of skin using a device with a rapidly rotating brush.
- Topical creams: A number of creams are used to reduce the appearance of age spots. These include Retin-A, hydroquinone, kojic acid, and vitamin C.
Today is a week since my surgery and I just saw Dr. Newman for my second post-op visit. I am so thrilled. First of all his staff is wonderful. I am amazed at how I feel now only one week later. Dr. Newman told me that I’d be OK to return to work this past Monday only 3 days after surgery. Honestly, I didn’t believe him but as it turned out he was correct. I returned on Tuesday after surgery last Friday. At this point I have almost no pain and I only have a small bruise on my left side. My result is amazing and exactly what I told him I wanted. I heard from other people how good he is and, to be honest, I’m amazed at how easy this was. Go Dr. N!!!JessieRK
What are the benefits of age and brown spot removal?
- Even skin pigmentation
- Younger looking skin
- Improved confidence and self-esteem
So professional, and kind. Very efficient, and I didn’t feel nearly as uncomfortable as I thought I would talking with him. I was scared to have surgery but he put me at ease and I have never regretted my decision. Great doctor.
Are age spots and brown spots preventable?
These spots are brought about by overexposure to UV light in sunlight or from other sources. One can reduce the occurrence and intensity of age/brown spots by guarding against excessive sun exposure. Applying sunscreen before going out in the sun is one way of protecting your skin from UV light. It is also recommended to avoid staying outside when solar radiation is highest, typically mid-morning to early afternoon. If one must go out under strong sunlight, protective clothing such as hats and sunglasses are encouraged.
Featured in the Media
Expertise and innovation attract attention. Dr. Newman has performed thousands of cosmetic breast, body, face, and skin procedures over his decades in practice. He has earned awards from The Aesthetic Society® (ASAPS) for his innovative techniques and has spoken about emerging technologies to respected colleagues at national meetings. Both the New York and national media trust Dr. Newman for his specialized expertise in both surgical and nonsurgical aesthetics.
Which treatment should I choose?
Each treatment has its unique merits and demerits. Some show results sooner than others, whereas some cause a bit more discomfort during the procedure. Your current skin condition will also play a part in determining the best solution. Please consult with us to determine which treatment approach will suit you best.
Are you ready to learn more about age/brown spot removal options in New York? Request a free initial consultation using our online form or call (914) 423-9000 for an appointment.
Meet Our Surgeon
Dr. Scott Newman
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Scott Newman is a nationally recognized specialist in breast and body surgery. His refined expertise extends to reconstructive and facial plastic surgery, as well as nonsurgical aesthetics. The innovator of the technology that became VECTRA® 3-D imaging, Dr. Newman is always looking for ways to improve his patients’ safety, comfort, and results. This drive has made Newman Plastic Surgery one of the most technologically advanced practices in the country.Meet Dr. Newman Request Your Consultation