You will find the majority of your wrinkles on the areas of your body that get the maximum amount of sun exposure. Areas such as your face, backs of your hands and the neck are all susceptible. There are two kinds that affect most people, and they are those that look like deep furrows and fine, surface lines. If you are worried about your wrinkles, then there are treatments for wrinkle removal. Read our article to find out what causes them, and what treatment is available to hide them.
What Are The Main Causes?
Fine lines, crow’s feet, laughter lines, whatever you want to call them, these are the main causes of them.
- Sun Exposure: When you are younger, your working life is geared towards that summer vacation where you get to laze in the sun and turn your beautiful body golden. Yet, you don’t think about the repercussions further down the line: aging. Exposure to the sun’s UV rays helps destroy your collagen and elastin in your skin, which in turn starts to sag so that wrinkles appear.
- Smoking: If you want to retain your youthful looks for as long as possible then you need to steer clear of smoking forever. Nicotine will narrow your blood vessels so that all your nutrients, blood and oxygen cannot be delivered as well to the outside layer of skin. You will also find that the smoke damages collagen and elastin.
- Facial Expressions: Your parents were right when they told you your face would stay stuck like that forever when you pulled daft faces as a kid. Yet, facial expressions truly are a cause of wrinkles too, as repetitive ones will leave a mark. Look in the mirror and laugh normally; you will notice perhaps that you have laughter lines around your eyes. If you frown, you may see furrows on your forehead, too.
- Age: Perhaps the most obvious sign one when it comes to the cause of wrinkles. Over time our skin loses its elasticity as the levels of elastin and collagen are broken down. Add to this the skin’s natural thinning and less production of skin oil, you can see why wrinkles become visible. If you spend all day sitting in the sun while smoking, well, you can imagine how your skin will look.
- Poor Nutrition: Eating poorly is not going to help either your health or your skin and will contribute to you getting wrinkles. Studies have shown that excessive processed sugar consumption may break down collagen, which will lead to wrinkles. If you are lacking in essential vitamins and eating poorly, this too is not good for your skin.
- Gender: Unfortunately, women are more likely to get wrinkles. This is purely down to less oily skin and fewer sweat glands than men. Less oily skin happens to wrinkle must faster than oily skin as there is less sebum in it. Men, meanwhile, will have more wrinkles around their mouth, as there are more blood vessels present there than present in women.
There are a few treatments you can undergo, to minimize the appearance of wrinkles.
- Dermabrasion: Basically, this is like sandpapering your face. It can make a huge difference if done properly and by an expert.
- Laser resurfacing: This will stimulate your skin’s collagen and help plump the skin back up, thus shifting wrinkles.
- Injections: Botox helps relax the muscles that produce the fine lines around your eyes and the furrows on your forehead.
- Plastic Surgery: Facelifts and brow lifts are some of the cosmetic surgeries you can undergo to remove wrinkles.
- Antioxidants: Vitamins A, C and E and products that have sun protection in them will mildly improve any wrinkles that are present.
- Moisturizers: They will only make your wrinkles look less visible on a temporary basis and will not make your fine lines disappear forever.
- Peels: Will smooth out fine lines and mask your wrinkles, but there are serious side effects that should be taken into consideration.