Brown spots are dots of hyper pigmented skin that can be found on body areas that usually get the most sun. This includes the face, neck, hands and chest regions. Also known as sun spots, these skin blemishes are a display of uneven pigmentation brought about by melanin response to excessive sun exposure. They also can also appear as a result of ingesting hormonal treatments such as estrogen or genetic disposition. Removal of brown spots can happen through a number of techniques as discussed below.
Understanding the Procedure
As pigmentation occurs at the base of the top most layer of the skin, Brown spots are treatable by simply removing this top layer. The new skin which surfaces will be healthier. A range of treatments exist for removing dead or damaged surface skin including:
- Photo facials or IPL: This is a light-based skin treatment which targets melanin and melanocyte in the skin. It uses specific light wavelengths to transfer energy into skin cells, reducing the level of brown and red pigmentation therein
- Laser peels: This technique targets dead and damaged skin cells using carbon dioxide and erbium lasers. The surface layer of skin peels of as a result, resurfacing new and healthy skin which has fewer imperfections
- Chemical peels: This treatment involves applying a chemical solution to the skin that makes it peel off. The fresh skin that appears is appears younger, more vibrant and has reduced skin imperfections
- Freezing (cryotherapy). Using a cotton swab, a freezing agent such as liquid nitrogen is applied to the blemish. This destroys excess pigmentation
- Dermabrasion: Dermabrasion is the process of sanding down the top layer of skin using a device with a rapidly rotating brush
- Brown spot creams: a number of creams are used to reduce the appearance of Brown spots. These include Retin-A, Hydroquinone, Kojic acid and Vitamin C
What Are The Benefits Of Brown Spot Removal?
- Even skin pigmentation
- Younger looking skin
- Improved confidence and self esteem
Today is a week since my surgery and I just saw Dr. Newman for my second post-op visit. I am so thrilled. First of all his staff is wonderful. I am amazed at how I feel now only one week later. Dr. Newman told me that I'd be OK to return to work this past Monday only 3 days after surgery. Honestly, I didn't believe him but as it turned out he was correct. I returned on Tuesday after surgery last Friday. At this point I have almost no pain and I only have a small bruise on my left side. My result is amazing and exactly what I told him I wanted. I heard from other people how good he is and, to be honest, I'm amazed at how easy this was. Go Dr. N!!!JessieRK
Are Brown Spots Preventable?
Brown spots are brought about by overexposure to UV light in sunlight or from other sources. One can reduce the occurrence and intensity of Brown spots by guarding against excessive sun exposure. Applying sunscreen before going out in the sun is one way of protecting your skin from UV light. It is also recommended to avoid staying outside when solar radiation is highest, typically mid morning to early afternoon. If one must go out under strong sun, protective clothing such as hats and sunglasses are encouraged.
Which Treatment Works Best For You?
Each treatment has its unique merits and demerits. Some show results sooner than others whereas some cause a bit more discomfort during the procedure. Your current skin condition will also play a part in determining the best solution. Please consult with us to determine which treatment approach will suit you best.
Ready To Schedule Your Brown spot Removal Procedure in New York?
Get in touch with our board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Scott Newman for an initial consultation and say goodbye to brown spots!
Laser & Medspa Procedures
voted top nyc
This New York Times story features Dr. Scott Newman’s “Girls Night Out” which was hosted in Glen Head, Long Island NY.
Danielle from Manhattan’s Upper East Side enlarged her breasts with silicone breast implants in Dr. Newman’s Park Ave facility.