As you plan your breast augmentation in Westchester, Long Island, or NYC, choosing the right implants can make all the difference in how happy you are with your results. Today, you have more options than ever for achieving the look you have always wanted with implants that fit your body, lifestyle, and budget. However, having so many options can make it difficult to know which one is the right choice for you.
Read on to learn more about different breast implants available and the biggest reasons women do (or don’t) choose each type.
Saline Breast Implants
Saline implants are made of silicone casing filled with a sterile saltwater solution.
- Pro: There is limited risk in the case of a rupture. Saline is harmlessly absorbed by the body, so if your implant ruptures, it won’t cause any harm to you and you’ll know a rupture has happened right away.
- Con: You may experience some implant wrinkling, rippling, and sloshing. It’s not uncommon for women to eventually pursue revision surgery after facing these unwanted issues.
These implants also require a smaller incision than other options and are the most affordable implant type.
Silicone Breast Implants
Silicone implants consist of a silicone casing filled with silicone gel.
- Pro: Silicone implants feel similar to natural breast tissue. The gel-like consistency is lighter and softer than saline implants, providing a natural-looking and natural-feeling result.
- Con: There is a possibility of silent rupture. If a silicone implant ruptures, you may not notice it right away. Regular scans for ruptures may be needed to catch complications early.
Because silicone implants are lighter than saline implants, they’re a strong option for active women. Learn more about this benefit in our previous blog post.
Gummy Bear Breast Implants
Gummy bear implants are made of cohesive or form-stable silicone.
- Pro: They create a natural shape for women with little breast tissue. These implants are also a popular choice for breast reconstruction.
- Con: This material has a firmer and less natural feel than traditional implants. This is typically most noticeable at the bottom of the breast.
While gummy bear implants have gained plenty of buzz in recent years, Dr. Newman finds traditional silicone implants are a better option in many cases.
IDEAL IMPLANTS have an outer silicone shell that encompasses multiple smaller chambers filled with saline.
- Pro: IDEAL IMPLANTS offer the natural feel of silicone implants with the safety of saline implants. The multiple nested shells minimize rippling, and the saline filling is harmlessly absorbed in the rare case of a rupture.
- Con: These implants come at a higher price point. While they may not be a budget-friendly option, women often find the results are well worth the investment.
A study in the Journal of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons found IDEAL IMPLANTS have a high patient satisfaction rate and a low risk of complications such as capsular contracture or rupture.
The Right Choice for You
Ultimately, the right implant type will vary from person to person depending on your goals, existing breast tissue, budget, and other considerations. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is always the best way to understand which option will best suit your specific needs.
To see examples of breast augmentation results created with each type of implant, please visit our before-and-after photo gallery.
Looking to learn more about your breast implant options from a plastic surgeon in Westchester, Long Island, or Manhattan? Contact us online or call (914) 423-9000 (Westchester), (516) 882-1020 (Long Island), or (212) 472-6100 (Manhattan).